Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Time for Reflection and Planning Ahead

Happy New Year, Everyone.  I look at my calendar and think, WoW!  It's 2018 already.  My thoughts go back to the quilts I made this past year and the planning begins for finishing quilts in progress and starting new ones.

I think the two most memorable quilts I made in 2017 are the owl quilt I made for my newest grand niece and the mystery quilt I designed to teach last spring.  Lone star centers are fun to make but so challenging to get 'just right'.
This owl quilt was a fun quilt to make.  The owls were from a potholder pattern and the rest just came out of my head.  I used mostly stash fabrics for this one. I decided to try a flange binding on the owl quilt.  It was just FUN.... and all machine.  That's always a plus.  Let me know if you're interested in a tutorial for the flange binding.


The mystery quilt was quite an undertaking with the lone star center and then who knew what after that.  I do love the primitive look to this quilt but when I taught the class there were so many different fabric choices that people used.  Oh my, how it changed the look of each quilt.  And for me, this is a special quilt because it's the first full sized quilt to long arm stitch on my Handi Quilter known to me as Queen Heidi.  I don't know why I picked that name, but she is a regal machine that I'm working hard to master LA quilting.

My machine has a computer so I was able to do both machine work and some free-hand quilting as well.  Don't look too closely.  I'm still learning.

I also made an Easter mystery quilt in pastels and bunnies in place of the crows.  I appliqued Easter eggs in one of the borders as well.  I'm still working on that quilt but it's close to finished.  I hope to finish it before Easter so I can enjoy it during that holiday season.  I'll keep you posted.

Okay, that's some of my favorite quilts that I made this past year.  So, what's in the quilting future for me in 2018?  The biggest project I will do this year is a wedding quilt for my grandson and his fiance.  He popped the question this Christmas so there's a wedding in the future.  They tell us it won't happen until the spring of 2019 so I do have time to design and create a very special quilt for them in this upcoming year.  I'm sure you're going to hear more about it on my blog.  Maybe you can give me suggestions on how to create it.

So, today is going to be a busy one because it's time to start the un-decorating and put up the Valentine's Day things.  And, of course this is a Featherweight Club Class week.  I'll put the finishing touches on the handouts for class and be thinking about it all week.  I love teaching the FW Club classes.  If you're in the NE Ohio or SE Mi area think about joining us.  We sure do have a fun time and it's always good to learn just a bit more about these amazing machines.  Check on the schedule tab for all the details.

So, again, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!  Stop by often.  I do hope to get back on schedule with posts and you all can comment or send me any question or message at my email address.

jdquilts123@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment