Friday, January 5, 2018



BRRRR!!  Is it cold enough for you?  The outside thermometer read -4 this morning.  That's cold enough for me.  But it's too cold to snow at the moment here at my house. We have more snow at the moment than this picture shows but it's a nice view from the porch. Of course it's too cold for any snow to melt from the last dumping.  Snow will move in when the temps start to climb up again.  I'll be happy to have a bit warmer temps but not super happy about the snow.  My thoughts go to those on the East coast at the moment with the blizzard they are having. I do hope you all have furnaces that work well and you are staying safe in these temperatures.  And if you're living in a warm or hot area, disreguard all of this talk about cold weather.  Just know,  I'm a little jealous.

But, cold weather means that many of us get to stay inside and sew.  And, as soon as I get caught up on the post holiday things that's exactly what I'll do.  I've made my 'QUILTS TO MAKE OR WORK ON' list for this year and now I need to start getting those UFOs finished and out of my sewing corner.  I have a few featherweights that I need to clean up, do some minor repairs and get listed on my 'for sale' tab.  I'm looking ahead to our flea market season where I'll have those FWs and other sewing things to sell.  I'll let you know about the Mason and Jackson flea markets coming up soon.

Today I'm off to teach the FW Club class for January and we have some fun things this time.  I put together an easy quilted bed extension cover that will protect the finish on the extension plate when you put the machine in the case.  Do you have the problem of the extension plate hitting the screw that holds the face plate on?  One of these covers would solve that problem.  After our class today and Sunday, I'll post the instructions on making the cover for everyone.  I'm going to make several of these for my machines and possibly have some for sale later.  We're also going to learn how to fix the problem of the needle going up and down when you're winding the bobbin.



And, I tried a new recipe last night for Minestrone soup.  This is soup weather for sure and I love trying something different.  This is easy to make, quick to get on the table and really yummy.  I could put it in the recipe section and maybe I'll do that later but I'll post it here for anyone that would like to try it on a chilly winter night.

MINESTRONE SOUP
1 Tbsp. Canola oil
12- oz pre-cooked smoked sausage or use a pre-cooked Italian flavored one
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
2-3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or more to get the right amount of 'soupy'
1 medium yellow sweet pepper, chopped
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 cup dry rigatoni pasta
2-3 cups baby spinach
Shredded  Parmesan cheese

1.Cut the sausage in 1/4" slices.  In a Dutch oven or large pot, brown the sausage in the oil until lightly browned.  Add the diced tomatoes, drained beans, chicken broth, sweet pepper and Italian seasoning.  Bring to a boil

2. When boiling, add the pasta and turn down the heat until the soup is just simmering.  Cook for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally until the pasta is cooked to barely tender.

3.  Turn the heat off and add the spinach, stirring into the soup to cause it to get limp.

4. Ladle into individual bowls and top with  shredded Parmesan cheese.

Makes 4-5 servings.

I served this with a fresh salad and some Focaccia bread.  I'll make this for dinner again soon.  Everyone loved it.

Okay, I'm off to get ready for my class.  I hope you'll be joining us.  If not, stay tuned.  I'll give you a followup on the FW Club tab when the classes are done.  And, I hope to take a few pictures of the ladies working on their sweet machines.

Have a good day.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. On a cold day this is the dish to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. On a cold day this is the dish to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. On a cold day this is the dish to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe. On a cold day this is the dish to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so welcome. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete