Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Some info about the number of FW machines made and a little tip, too.


I looked up some information about how many featherweight machines (Singer 221) were made over the years and realized how lucky I am to own one of the white FWs.  You all know that the FW 221 was first made in 1933 and in the middle 1960s production stopped on the most successful of the Singer models made.  We're still trying to find them, right?

The black machines are common because over 2 million were made.  The FW 222, often called the free arm featherweight, were made in the 1960's but not for the US market.  There were almost 109,000 of those made.  But the little white and celery green machines only added up to 60,000 machines made.  The information on the tan machines is not available.  There are several minor differences in the white machines but they are hard to find.  If you have one, cherish it.

I was able to purchase another black machine a couple of weeks ago and found something interesting that I thought I'd pass along to all of you.  This machine was missing a motor belt and I had to put a new one on it but when I looked carefully at the motor shaft I discovered that there was thread wrapped around the shaft.  And it wasn't a small amount of thread.  I carefully got hold of the thread and started unwinding it. .... and unwinding it...... and unwinding it.  Oh my!  I had two handsful of thread that came off the shaft.  Then,  I took my little light and looked more carefully behind the belt area and found more thread.  That poor machine was so bound up with thread that I'm not sure she would have worked well at all.  Of course, after I got all the thread out, I oiled her up, greased her and put on a brand new belt.  She's a happy sewer now.

So, maybe it would be a good idea to take a bright light and check around the belt area to see if there is any thread wrapped around the motor shaft.  During our FW Club Class this week I mentioned this to the gals that were there and guess what?  We found a couple of machines that also had thread wrapped around the motor shaft.  So, check yours.  An unhindered motor is a happy motor.




4 comments:

  1. I hope I'm feeling well enough this weekend to get my FW out & set her up. I'll be sure to check her motor shaft for thread! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope so, Cowgrl. You've had that cold long enough and your FW is probably yelling, get me out and use me. You know I love my FWs.

      Delete
  2. I was one of those with the thread around the motor shaft and it amazed me the places where thread can be found. Thanks for sharing the story and the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew how thread gets in some of the places I've found it. You just have to keep looking in the wierdest places and keep your machine free of obstruction. I'm so glad we found that thread so your machine can run happily.

      Delete