Friday, May 17, 2024

So, you want to clean up your FW?

 I had a very interesting and challenging issue that came up this past month.  You know,  there are a ton a u-tube videos out there in the deep dark web that can lure you in so quickly.  They promise to give you all the answers to all the questions you might have about your featherweight and many of them will get you in a lot of trouble!  There are a few things you need to know before you get sucked in!



First, if you've not worked on your FW before, don't start trying to fix a bunch of things all at once.  Even those of us that work on these cute little machines all the time know better than to take a bunch of stuff apart at the same time.  And, if I do take a few things apart I always make sure to keep each area of things separate from each other. My general rule is, 'IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT'!  And if you do want to fix it, rely on someone that knows what they are doing!



Next, pay close attention to which screws go where.  There are so many teeny tiny screws in the FW and each one has to go exactly where it goes. The hardware store won't carry a Singer screw.  Use magnetic dishes to hold things and always work over a padded surface.  Those screws get legs and run off everywhere!  Don't let them escape!  Also, if the head of a screw is damaged, DON'T PUT IT BACK IN THE MACHINE!  A damaged screw head is never a good thing.  You can get a replacement screw from me or calling the FW shop.  And, remember that screws are to be tightened just to the snug stage.  Over tightening screws can cause a lot of damage.


And, I hate to say this but really, it's true.  It's best to take your FW to someone that specializes in FWs.  So many times I get  a machine after it's been worked on by a licensed sewing machine repair person.  They often use the wrong grease (like the molykote in this machine), adjust things incorrectly or don't service the motor at all.  BAD STUFF!  You can service your machine if you learn how.  There are people and places that will teach you what you need to know.



You know I love getting your machine back up and running and if I do say so myself, I'm not bad at it.  I just got a machine back to sewing a beautiful stitch after the local repair guy gave up on it.  The machine had been taken apart by the owner following one of those u-tube videos showing how easy it is to take things apart to clean them.  She found it's not so easy.  I even had issues getting it back to sewing the beautiful stitch it wanted to stitch.  You really do need to know a bit more than how to wind a bobbin and thread the machine. 



Take a class.  Follow the Featherweight Shop's great schoolhouse instructions and when you have questions ask before you mess something up.  I will always answer your email questions as quickly as I can and I'm happy to do that.  Contact me!  jdquilts123@yahoo.com.

Okay, that's it!  Let me know if you have questions.  I'll always try to help.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment