Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Spa Day


We all know that we need to oil our machines every 8-10 hours of sewing and I do that faithfully.  But, if you've taken a maintenance class from me, you know that I tell you I can't forget the every six month spa day when I grease the gears and lube the motor.  I told you that I do it every year between Christmas and New Year's day.  Sometime in that week, I get all the FWs out that are at the winter house and they get their day of pampering and such.  But, how do I remember the 6 months later spa day.  Well, this week is my birthday week, 6 months from Christmas and New Years so this is the week and today is the day this year.


So, here are the 6 machines I currently have at the summer house patiently waiting for their turn.  This is only half the crew but the other machines are at the winter house and they'll get their spa day when I return.  And, it looks like Skanie get's her spa day first.  I have all the tools I'll need out and the gear grease, the motor lube and yes, the oil to give the once over. 

I want to see if the motor lube is being used as I sew.  That's important.  If no lube is used it might mean the old lube has hardened and clogged the port.  Whatever I find, the old lube gets removed and new lube gets put back for another 6 months of faithful sewing.  Then, I check to see if the gear grease is darkened or is it still kinda clear?  Kinda clear means the old gunk has been worked out.  If the grease is dark or black and hard, it's really important to remove all of it and put new grease on the teeth of the gears.

And, just to be thorough, all the metal to metal parts will be oiled, 1 drop in each spot and each and every FW baby of mine will be up and running to beat the band.


It's fun for me to line up the machines and see the differences in them.  Some have the pretty scroll face plate.  Others have the more modern looking striated face plate.  Some shields are the centennial ones.  Some are the older red S shield.  There were so many changes that were made over the years and I do enjoy seeing each one.

Okay,   I guess I'd better get busy so I can get all these done today.  It's a good way to spend a day of my birthday week.  So, here's your reminder, dear friends.  Go give your machines their spa day.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Jean!! Enjoy. Thanks for the reminder to take care of our sweet machines.
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dolores. It was a good birthday. You know I want you all to take care of those machines. Reminding you is part of my job.

    ReplyDelete